Those of you who have read my blog since it started or follow me on Twitter may know last year I was lucky enough to get my foot on the ladder and buy my first property with my boyfriend. This has opened me up to a whole new world of shopping…homeware. It has been very enjoyable to design each room from scratch and see how it has been transformed from boring empty rooms with concrete floors to a home. As a result, I am constantly on the look out for new things and when I was recently contacted by Chaise Longue Boutique to create a mood board of things I would love in my dream home for a competition I jumped at the chance.
My first thoughts were to get hunting on the Selfridges and Next websites for my favourite items but then it dawned on me I have already created my dream home with items I adore so why not make my blog post entry more personal and share some of my favourite items from my home? As this is very personal, I’m not going to show every room, but I’ve picked one, our second bedroom/lounge and some of the items I have chosen to decorate/furnish it. To give you a little background, when we first moved in we turned this room into a second bedroom with a double bed etc as you would expect. Since, we have realised the room wasn’t actually being used that much and we didn’t want to waste the space so we decided to convert it into a lounge/bedroom so we get the best of both worlds. We now use this room a lot more often but have the added bonus of turning it into a bedroom if our friends or family stay.
The look I was going for is clean and neutral so we are able to easily introduce different colours whenever we fancy a change. The room still needs a little more work but I’m really pleased with the items we have so far.. they are exactly what I wanted! I studied textiles at school and we had to create mood boards of random pictures or items that gave us inspiration for a theme. This is my theme mood board for this room which helped me decide what I wanted from the room:
Now that I’ve given you some background into my inspiration for my theme mood board here are the items I have chosen to share with you… A mood board of things I would love in my dream home:
- Dressing Table – Being a beauty blogger a key piece of furniture is a dressing table. I bought mine from Ikea and I love the simple design. It has lots of storage and is a modern twist on your typical dressing table.
- Bubble Mirror – I love this bubble mirror from John Lewis because it is unlike any I have seen before. It is definitely a talking point in this room.
- Light shade – I’m afraid I don’t actually remember where this is from but I love that it is open and delicate, although it doesn’t help give out as much light as I would like. The crystals are pretty too.
- Wooden Heart – This wooden heart is from one of our local garden centres. I love it’s simplicity and rustic feel.
- Sofabed and cushions – Our Sofabed and cushions are from Furniture Village and are the perfect size for this room. It is compact yet isn’t too small and is a neutral colour so I can add any colour cushions I want.
- Lamp and candle holders – The lamp and candle holders sport a pretty mosaic pattern which bounces light around the room. I love the contrasting colours too. I bought these from Next.
- Bedside table – Okay, I confess. I don’t actually have this bedside table, it is from Chaise Longue Boutique but I like the shape and shabby chic finish of it. I think it would fit into this room perfectly.
- Mouse – My boyfriend bought me this gorgeous doorstop from John Lewis. I loved it as soon as I saw we but we didn’t immediately buy it….shortly after he got it for me as a surprise! What better way to hold the door open than with a cute mouse?! I love animals and have a dog, hamsters and fish so this is definitely me!
- Wardrobes – We were on the market for some wardrobes for this room and wanted them to fit as flush to the walls as possible without costing a fortune. In the end we opted for this glossy white ones from Ikea. These are great because they are completely customisable!
What do you think of my mood board? Are there in items in particular you like?
Check out my August advertiser Lovely Jubbly Blog
To advertise with Kimberley’s Beauty Blog find out more info here.