In one of my past posts I mentioned wanting to have a You Tube channel but not being brave enough. Quite a few people responded with the same concern so now I’ve taken the plunge I thought it may be helpful to do a post on my experience.
I decided to film a favourites video as my first one as I thought this would be pretty easy because I had used the products for a while and really liked them. It turns out it was really difficult!! I was pretty nervous because of the thought of putting the video up on the internet and how people would react… I’m not the most confident person in the world I didn’t want any negative comments to knock what confidence I had built up. Also, I put extra pressure on myself because I was planning on doing a favourites blog post on the same items so naturally I wanted to include all products in both so they matched. It turns out I had quite a few favourites last month so I had lots to get through and more importantly lots points to try and cover in each one.
I ended up filming the whole set of products quite a few times until I finally got something I was reasonably happy with/had enough of going over and over it. The video is also a little dark enough though I tried tested out the lighting in different locations.
When I look back it now I really cringe but I have got considerably better and have had some lovely comments from people so I am glad I finally started filming. I now have over 100 subscribers too. I want to film You Tube videos more often because they are fun to do and I love watching other people’s but they are much more time consuming that blogging so I often find it hard to make the time.
There is no right or wrong way to film video’s because everyone is unique and has different styles but for those of you who are thinking of starting a channel and are looking for some words of advice here are some tips:
1) Try not to plan what you are going to say as it doesn’t come across as natural
2) Don’t beat yourself up if you don’t remember all the points you wanted to cover about a product.. again you want to sound natural so it’s best to just start filming and act as though your chatting to someone rather than ticking off a checklist in your head of things you’ve covered.
3) In hindsight I think a haul video would probably have been a better choice to film first as you pretty much just have to say what you see.. they are MUCH easier!
4) Test out the lighting in a few different areas so you can try and get the best result for your video.
5) If you get stuck when editing your video run a search on Google. There are load of helpful tips and guidance for the different programs you use.
6) Try different techniques of filming to see what ones work best for you. I find I’m most natural when using a camera but getting it lined up on the tipod is a nightmare (plus my camera battery is rubbish and my tripod broken!. Filming on my webcam didn’t give me the best quality so I try and avoid that now. Lastly, I tried my Ipad. This was brilliant to use because you can see yourself in the screen and it is easy to stand it up in different positions.
7) Speak quite loudly when you film so it comes out well. There’s nothing worse than wanting to listen to a video you are really interested in but struggling to hear the person speaking.
8) Think about what background works best for you.
Did you find this post useful? Have you got a You Tube channel? If so post you links below, I would love to see them!
| Twitter || Instagram || Blog Lovin’ || You Tube |
Check out my August advertiser Lovely Jubbly Blog
To advertise with Kimberley’s Beauty Blog find out more info here.
This is a great post, some really helpful tips.
I'd love to get started into YT but I need a good (but inexpensive) photo editor.
The one that comes with Windows just crashes on me constantly, it can be open for as little as 2 minutes before it's frozen and then crashed 🙁
Most people I've asked use the one that comes on MAC computers which obviously doesn't help me as I have a windows computer, so until I can find a decent enough editor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg there's no point filming anything 🙁
I would love to do YT but I just don't have the confidence! xo